The Oval+ 2019:
Wednesdays through Sundays 11am-11pm
Friday, July 19th – Sunday, August 18th*
*Please check Twitter before you set out for the latest weather related updates. The Oval+ will open at 5pm on Friday, 7/18 and Saturday, 7/19 due to weather.
For four weeks this summer, from July 19 to August 18, The Oval+ presented by PNC returns to Eakins Oval and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, bringing more fun for all ages than ever before. A partnership of Fairmount Park Conservancy and Philadelphia Parks & Recreation, The Oval+ continues to expand with more installations and more programming in more places extending from Eakins Oval eastward along the Parkway.
Design highlights include a series of bright, playful sculptures by Mural Arts Philadelphia artist NDA that encourage passersby to engage with the objects in a personalized way and a 34,240-square-foot ground mural by Mural Arts artist Felix St. Fort titled “Vector 2.”
The BOOM BOX double-decker bus on the HEAR block retrofitted into a music and snack space by the architectural design firm FKB.
A shipping container located on the MAKE block, transformed into a public space for art + design by fashion designer Desiree Negron, with support from artist Najeeb Sheikh.
Outdoor reading and music carts on the MAKE block, designed and fabricated by Tiny WPA in partnership with Interface Studio.
A block for “PLAY,” located in front of Von Colln Park, features a pop-up basketball court, tether ball, badminton, ping-pong tables, and bleachers.
The return of PORT-designed installations at Eakins Oval, including the Ribbon Garden, Mr. Mister spray garden, and an oversized sandbox.
Dozens of free activities and events are planned around the themes “Wellness Wednesdays,” “Arts & Culture Thursdays,” “Food & Flicks Fridays,” “Game Day Saturdays,” and “Sunday Family Fundays.”
Some programs take place in Eakins Oval, and some along the Benjamin Franklin Parkway on the designated blocks. For the complete schedule, see theovalphl.org/events.
- “Wellness Wednesdays” at Eakins Oval
- CKO Kickboxing, weekly 5pm-6pm and 7pm-8pm
- Power Yoga by Yoga Habit, weekly 6pm-7pm
- League Cornhole, weekly 6pm-8pm
- Philly Dance Fitness, July 24, 7-8pm
- Nature Read-Aloud at the MAKE outdoor reading room, weekly 11am-12pm
- Tennis with Philadelphia Freedoms on the PLAY court, July 24, 6pm-8pm
- “Arts & Culture Thursdays” at Eakins Oval
- Silent Philly Dance Party, weekly 8pm-11pm
- Drag Queen Story Time at the MAKE reading room, weekly 11am-12pm
- Live Performances on the HEAR block
- BalletX, Thursday, July 25, 7pm-8pm
- Liberian Women’s Chorus for Change, August 1, 7pm-8pm
- AFROTAINO presents Bongo District, August 8, 7pm-8pm
- KYL/D performance, August 15, 7pm-8pm
- “Food & Flick Fridays” at Eakins Oval
- Movie Nights, 9pm
- 7/19 “Black Panther” 7/26 “Mighty Ducks” 8/2 “Top Gun” 8/9 “Hook” 8/16 “Little Giants”
- Philly Reading Coaches providing one-on-ones at the MAKE reading room, weekly, 11am-2pm
- Architecture + Design (A+D) Free Play with DesignPhiladelphia at the MAKE shipping container, weekly 3pm-5pm
- Ping Pong Tournament with SPIN on the PLAY block, weekly starting July 26, 6pm-8pm
- BOOM 103.9 Radio Takeover of the BOOM BOX, all day.
- “Game Day Saturdays” at Eakins Oval
- Quizzo in the Beer Garden, 4pm-6pm
- Pop Up Play and Fab Youth Philly’s Play Captains on the PLAY block
- WPPM 106.5 FM Takeover of the BOOM BOX, all day.
- Summer Sounds Series with DJs at the Oval, weekly 6pm-10pm
- “Family Fun Sundays” at Eakins Oval
- Let’s Rock Recess!!! (a kid-friendly DJ dance party), 2pm-7pm
- Global Craft Market by the Welcoming Center for New Pennsylvanians on the MAKE block
Food and Beverage Options
***For fast access for both beer gardens, please be sure to sign up here and take a screenshot of the email you receive. ***
The all-new BOOM BOX features seating inside and on top of the bus and offers Rita’s Water Ice, Philly Pretzel Factory, draft beers by Mainstay Independent Brewing Company, and beverages by La Colombe.
The Oval+ Beer Garden opens on Friday, July 19th at 5pm and features food from Chayatee Thai restaurant (including vegan options) plus wine, cocktails, “adult slushies,” and beer featuring Park’s Pale Ale brewed in concert with Philadelphia Parks & Recreation.
A rotating line-up of food trucks at Eakins Oval offers a variety of meal and dessert options, including QT Vietnamese, Brotherly Grub, La Chocolatera, Dump n Roll, and Island Shack (please check schedule for latest updates).
Philadelphia Parks & Recreation and Fairmount Park Conservancy worked with City agencies and partners to develop a traffic protection and maintenance plan and to implement safety measures that correspond with the closure and detour schedule outlined as follows:
Through August 25 vehicle traffic will be redirected in the following ways:
- The outbound outer lanes (north side of Parkway) will be closed to vehicles between 20th Street and Art Museum Drive.
- The outbound Parkway bike lane will remain open.
- 20th St, N. 21st St. and N. 22nd St. will remain open.
- Vine St. traffic will be directed to the Parkway inner lanes or to make a right onto 20th St.
2019 Press Coverage:
7/18/19 The Philadelphia Inquirer The Oval+ returns to the Parkway Friday View
6/25/19 PhillyVoice: Details on The Oval+ 2019, a pop-up park on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway View
6/25/19 Curbed Philly: The Oval+ announces 2019 opening date View
Philadelphia Parks & Recreation, in partnership with the Fairmount Park Conservancy, revealed the City of Philadelphia’s new “Park on the Parkway” in July 2013. The eight acres of public space
located on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway known as Philadelphia’s own “Avenue des Champs-Élysées,” Eakins Oval (2451 Benjamin Franklin Parkway) became The Oval, a park with
community programming, events, and activities. Designed to promote the Parkway as a neighborhood park for all Philadelphians, The Oval offers a wide array of activities and amenities, and features park spaces that all ages can easily access and enjoy.
For more information please find our Press and Media Contacts.
For a schedule of events as well as high-resolution images for media use, please visit the online press room.